This 1985 Nissan 300ZX is for sale in West Hartford, Connecticut for $6,200. Rising out of the hood is an Eaton M90 supercharger on top of a Toyota 4.0 L 1UZ-FE V8. The supercharger features a Pulleyboys 2.9-inch pulley which produces 6 psi of boost. The motor features a new water pump and alternator, custom lower oil pan, new Z32 radiator, Walboro 255 fuel pump, and Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator. Behind the motor sits a Nissan S13 five-speed manual transmission with a Collins adapter plate, new clutch, and one-piece steel driveshaft. The car rides on Godspeed S13 coilovers with a new steering rack and tie rods ends. Some issues with the car include no air conditioning and the factory speedometer and tachometer gauges do not work.
Update 6-25-20: Included more photos and details from owner.
Update 6-30-20: car sold
This is the background on my Z, how I started and how I got where it is today. I have a technical engineering background and have always enjoyed building things and making things go.
When it was time to buy a project car I knew I wanted to V8 swap something. I found a Z31 for sale, V6 automatic and picked it up for a little over $2,000. I cruised it around for the summer while searching for the perfect donor car. I bought a well maintained 1992 LS400 for $800, drove it home and stripped every nut and bolt off of it over the course of 2 weeks. I did all the maintenance on the motor while I had it apart including head gasket, water pump, timing belt, serpentine belt, intake and exhaust gaskets, new alternator, etc etc.
The engine was mated to a stock Z31/240sx 5 speed manual using a Collins adapter plate with a new clutch, throw out bearing and slave cylinder. I built my own motor mounts and used the stock transmission mounts. Power is put to the wheels with a custom one piece steel drive shaft and the stock differential.
I used the stock LS400 wiring harness stripped down to only what was necessary to run the motor off of a refreshed ECU and supplied power to the car with the Lexus fuse junction box. The coolant system, exhaust and oil pan were completely fabricated to suit this car using a Z32 radiator and then miscellaneous parts from the Summit, Jegs, and Pep Boys parts bins.
All of the gauges were wired separate from the stock gauge cluster with the intention of making a Z31 digital dashboard work in the future. I picked up used Rota wheels and it sits on a non square setup, 255 in the front, 275 in the rear with high performance summer tires and aftermarket coilovers were installed to fix the ride height. The last stage of the project was the supercharger build which I planned for a year and fabricated the components over a month or so.
I am using a Walbro 255 in tank pump, Aeromotive rising rate fuel pressure regulator, custom fuel lines in the stock rail and refreshed OEM injectors. I mounted an Eaton M90 blower with fresh oil onto a custom made intake manifold that bolts to the motor, with the blower sticking out of the hood of course.
I drive this car regularly during the warm months and I am excited for someone else to own and love this car as much as I have. I’m only selling to make room for the next and crazier swap to come.
Source: FB Marketplace and owner